macOS Release Notes
PingPlotter 5.9.1 - March 14, 2019
- Implemented "Save as Image" Alert Action.
- Implemented "Export PP2" Alert Action.
- Implemented "Add a Comment" Alert Action.
- Implemented "Alert on a Timer" Alert Condition.
- Significantly improved startup performance related to active Alerts on running targets and when loading daily Flex Storage data.
- Historical data template variable now limits the data exported which sometimes resulted in SMTP errors related to large attachments.
- When encountering certain data issues, now shows non-intrusive popup showing that corrupt samples were discarded rather than repeatedly showing error popup.
- Improved the way timeline graphs comments are loaded and displayed which could sometimes result in slow memory growth over time.
- Testing CloudConnect connection should now be slightly more accurate providing additional details on current state.
- Added "Agent" variable to email alert templating system.
- Improved performance and user experience when using Daily Flex Storage periods due to data file locks.
- Resolved an issue with Flex Storage databases causing data inconsistencies on CloudConnect Agents when selected Flex period rolls over.
- Fix for comma decimal not working when entering trace interval on machines with certain culture settings.
- Packet Engine options should now be available when running in Standard mode.
PingPlotter 5.8.11 - February 13, 2019
- Application icons received a minor touch up.
- Significant improvements to service startup and shutdown time.
- Added toggle setting for timeline graph comments on Dynamic DNS change.
- Fixed a scenario which showed invalid DateTime message with timeline graph slider.
- Fixed a scenario that would show invalid path message when testing Log to File alert.
- Fixed an issue causing targets to be removed from Summaries after application restart.
PingPlotter 5.8.10 - January 29, 2019
- LND "Export to CSV" option now allowed in Standard edition.
- Improved sizing for images included in email alert templates.
- Restart application prompt no longer shows when selecting "Cancel" in custom data path browser.
- Null host error now displays better messaging and closes problem target.
- Improved performance when using Local Network Discovery via CloudConnect Agents.
PingPlotter 5.8.9 - January 16, 2019
- Corrected an issue with aliases causing data storage problems.
- Fixed an issue with some users not being able to set trace interval with commas instead of decimal points.
- Corrected issue with period focus changing when resetting focus to current.
- Corrected an issue where the trial splash screen would not always run because of a different calendar format.
- Fix for null reference that sometimes occurred a few seconds after Local Network Discovery is stopped.
- Fixed an issue causing 'Test Email' alert button to not work in all cases.
- Corrected issue when switching workspaces after importing a file that would cause various errors.
- Corrected a scenario where importing a .pp_sample file without fully importing data would cause misc errors on next launch.
- Corrected Find Target implementation (⌘ + F).
- Significantly improved the amount of CPU that PingPlotter uses.
- Added ability to Find Target by alias name.
PingPlotter 5.8.7 - January 3, 2019
- Resolved an issue where restarting a CloudConnect Agent prevented sessions from re-opening on the Controller.
- Resolved an issue where "Over Time" Alert Conditions that resulted in partial seconds would show "Invalid Input String".
- Resolved a scenario where High Sierra users with expired / expiring Maintenance would get an invalid color message.
- Resolved an issue where Free users would occasionally see error message "Null Reference Error" after tracing for some time.
PingPlotter 5.8.5 - December 20, 2018
- Several misc improvements to timeline graph slider behavior.
- CloudConnect Agents should now clear local session data as it's successfully delivered.
- Session Manager should now open center screen rather than bottom left corner.
- Resolved a scenario where session database files would sometimes grow at an exponential rate.
- Timeline graph slider should now be visible on macOS High Sierra.
- CloudConnect traces are no longer displayed in Session Manager causing misleading error messages.
PingPlotter 5.8.4 - December 10, 2018
- Resolved an issue where starting the application with existing historical data (sessions.ppdata) would cause a null reference error.
- Resolved a scenario where ConfigurationSettings were not migrating properly to new data format resulting in a non-blocking error.
- Changing data storage directories should now properly restart application on setting change.
- Now silently handles socket closed messages that were sometimes shown during loss of Agent connection.
PingPlotter 5.8.3 - December 7, 2018
- Resolved a scenario where application shut down would freeze indefinitely and cause loss of data.
- Resolved issue with getting session count that would result in a frozen interface.
PingPlotter 5.8.2 - December 6, 2018
- Auto Save Data setting now defaults to Always. This will not affect existing installations.
- Implemented a slider control below timeline graphs in target windows which allows for much easier scrolling back through historical data.
- File > Save Image now works on summary windows.
- Resetting and restarting an open target now retains custom name.
- Importing Workspaces, PP2 Files and Target Lists should now display correct progress percentage.
- Sending email alerts with certain characters should no longer cause "Invalid Characters in Path" message to be displayed.
PingPlotter 5.8.1 - Nov 21, 2018
- Flex Storage - PingPlotter now separates your session trace data by day or month allowing for increased performance and ease of data management. NOTE: Data collected in versions 5.8.1 and above is only accessible in those versions. Previous versions will be unable to access the data if you roll back.
- Final Hop Only - A new option that allows users to mitigate resource usage and only collect full route data when it's interesting. This can be configured via "Settings > Engine Options > Start traces as final hop only" and also includes a manual toggle via right click menu as well as a new "Route Adjustment" Alert action that allows you to automate Final Hop Only / Full Route toggling based upon pre-determined conditions.
- CloudConnect Beta - Remote tracing has never been such a breeze! PingPlotter's CloudConnect feature allows users to deploy PingPlotter to additional machines as an "Agent" and collect remote trace data as if they were on site. This remote trace data is always being collected and can be stored in the cloud to be delivered at any time.
PingPlotter 5.5.16 - October 11, 2018
- Added dark mode integration with MacOS Mojave.
- Added better handling when attempting to trace to an invalid host.
- Fixed problem in the MOS column algorithm that sometimes caused invalid results.
- Fixed a bug that caused PingPlotter to highlight timeline graphs excessively when live sorting is on.
PingPlotter 5.5.12 - May 14, 2018
- Latency over time alert conditions should now fire as expected when examining a period of time with a threshold of 100% of the time.
PingPlotter 5.5.11 - April 25, 2018
- Alert conditions should show selected condition rather than first condition in dropdown menu
PingPlotter 5.5.10 - April 10, 2018
- Timeline graph displays should now correctly update based on the selected target configurations
- Certain scenarios that require active maintenance should now work correctly for subscription license types
- File path should now display full path correctly when using Launch an Executable alert action
- Selecting multiple or all targets on summaries should no longer alter target configurations
- Alerts Panel should no longer show invalid / non - existent alert bindings for targets
- Alerts should no longer be added to a target when editing an alert via Alert Library
- Resolved an error that would sometimes occur during startup when registering MOS column
- Testing Log to File alert action should no longer show an error
- When recovering from an application crash, now displays All Targets summary rather than individual target windows
PingPlotter 5.5.9 - February 23, 2017
- Resolved an issue where SMTP setup window would be hidden in the background
- Resolved an issue where using Tab key in SMTP setup would hide the window
- Resolved a scenario where certain Alerts panel screens would cause application crashes
- Resolved a scenario where the background service would not update when located in Applications directory
PingPlotter 5.5.8 - February 3, 2017
- New Feature: Network interface card (NIC) selection allows users to correlate PingPlotter setting configurations with local network interface cards; see the difference between your wired and wireless connection!
- Resolved a scenario that allowed frozen interface issues to open an exponential amount of PingPlotter instances
- Resolved an issue where long running instances would sometimes get a frozen interface while running in the background
- Resolved an issue that would sometimes result in an error message "invalid hop number"
- Resolved a scenario that would sometimes result in new packet configurations not displaying a default packet engine
- Improvements to prevent a frozen interface on startup when clearing temporary sessions
- Improvements to alert panel to prevent a scenario where the alert panel would hide behind the main PingPlotter window
PingPlotter 5.5.5 - October 19, 2017
- Added a feature that transfers existing license and target history from client data when running PingPlotter as a service for the first time
- Added the ability to reverse select timeline graphs within target windows
- Fixed scenario where hovering over an area with no stats on a timeline graph would result in being shown "fake" stats
- Fixed errors related to adding targets to a new summary that would sometimes result in a frozen interface
- Fixed an error that would sometimes result in "Host not found" errors
- Fixed scenario that would result in empty UDP port ranges when creating a new UDP packet engine
- Fixed scenario that would result in alert icon missing from trace grid on summary and target screens
- Removed "Auto show timeline graphs on summary" to prevent unintended resource consumption
PingPlotter 5.5.4 - September 28, 2017
- Start / pause button should now be visible in macOS High Sierra
- Importing a .PP2 downloaded from the web should no longer result in an error
PingPlotter 5.5.3 - September 25, 2017
Lots of small improvements and fixes, especially as target counts grow.
- Performance improvements to the session browser - sample counts load in the background so the session list shows immediately
- Opening more than a handful (5!) sessions from the session browser puts them in the All Targets summary, highlighted, instead of opening tabs for them. Right-click and "Show Target Window" on the summary graph if you actually want to open them all.
- Performance improvements when resuming tracing after a long hiatus (months) - totals will "aggregate" in the background with a bit less importance and foreground collection and data saves are prioritized higher.
- Less CPU use with lots of targets. 250 targets with 2.5 second trace intervals should be a lot more CPU friendly now.
- The remote agent now uses the latest sample instead of sometimes using an older cached one.
- Improvements to long-term memory use that was causing an array index error (and other memory / sluggishness problems)
- Importing a .PP2 sample set would sometimes give a licensing error instead of opening.
- Fixed a problem with the web interface would sometimes give a -4077 econnreset error when a web browser closed its session
- Fixed a couple of frozen issues (at startup and several others)
- Fixed an issue where Standard users would sometimes only be able to open a single target.
- Fixed an issue where clicking on a target graph didn't do anything
- Fixed an issue where Local Network Discovery wouldn't let you export to CSV.
- On MacOS, fixed an issue where new targets always showed 2.5 second default trace intervals - now it uses the last setting, or what's in the summary you launch a target from.
- A good handful of unexpected errors (object references, contract missing and similar) were corrected.
PingPlotter 5.5.2 - September 13, 2017
- Added "Route Changed" and "IP Address in Route" alert conditions
- Added "MOS" (Mean Opinion Score) column to summary and target windows
- Added timeline graph scrolling container that allows users to keep open as many timeline graphs as they desire
- Added General setting to "Automatically show timeline graphs for targets added to summary screen"
- Added General setting "Timeline graph minimum height" which prevents timeline graphs from going below a certain size
- Added "Reverse selecting" of timeline graphs allowing users to easily correlate a graph with a target in the upper trace window
- Added "Timeline hover tooltip" which provides detailed latency information when hovering over a timeline graph
- Added "Target Count" to bottom of summary trace graph below final target
- Added the ability to export "Local Network Discovery" targets to a CSV file
- Added "Launch an Executable" alert type
- Command ⌘ + W keyboard shortcut to close active PingPlotter window
- Added the abilities to Export and Clear Workspace
- Added the ability to Export Target List
- Fixed several issues that resulted in "Object reference error"
- Fixed issue where PingPlotter would move to Applications and leave existing copy "lingering"
- Fixed issue where PingPlotter window would not open in the correct location
- Fixed issue where web interface graph time and focus period would always revert to the default
- Moved Summary sub-menu out of Workspaces and into its own menu category
- Timeline graph highlight color now matches macOS highlight color
PingPlotter 5.4.3 - March 10, 2017
- Workspace consistency
- Removed error popup when resetting and restarting a target while the Alerts is panel open
- Resolved an issue where time graphs would sometimes stop updating
- Resolved an issue where trace intervals longer than 60 minutes would stop other traces and prevent alerts from firing
- Resolved an issue where renaming a summary via Web Interface would result in an error
- Resolved an issue where time graphs were sometimes not opening in their correct state
- Improvements to messaging and UX of Free mode users
- Improvements to route accuracy
- Improvements to macOS Background Service to prevent service related errors
- Background mode now correctly disposes of targets that are not set to save data
- Minor UI improvements
PingPlotter 5.4.2 - February 2, 2017
- Ability to reset and restart targets from a summary.
- Right-click target or timeline from summary > Show Target Window.
- Jitter target line (Edit > Options > Display > Jitter "target" line).
- Date & time stamp on summary showing detailed focus period times.
- Sort time graphs now available via right-click of a target in summary screen.
- Exporting has been adjusted to bring stability and less errors.
- Alert panel button looks better.
- Fixed a bug related to default settings in trial mode
- Improvements within the remoting sytem now prevents deadlocks and frozen interfaces.
- Minor changes in route building logic
- Entitled builds (from license system) now pass code signing checks in macOS Sierra.
PingPlotter 5.3.2 - November 28, 2016
- Minor changes around packet dispatching while Local Network Discovery is running.
PingPlotter 5.3.1 - November 18, 2016
- Two new features are available in this release.
- Local Network Discovery - You can now scan your local network using a wide variety of protocols to identify devices that can be affecting your network performance. You will love how easy it is to view your network and select devices to monitor with PingPlotter. Local network discover is available in Standard and Professional editions.
- Dynamic DNS Support - Do you use PingPlotter to monitor a server that doesn't stay on a fixed IP address? Now PingPlotter will follow DNS changes that point to the system and keep monitoring it regardless of IP address changes. Instructions on how to use dynamic DNS are available in the manual.
- New features aren't the only thing to get excited about. This is the first simultaneous release of macOS and Windows. Hooray for cross-platform technology!
- Fixed a bug that caused some new traces to start at the wrong default trace interval.
- Improved startup performance for users with larger data sets.
- Hunted down and tackled a bug that produced "route 0 no found" errors.
- Got crazy route changes? This version brings several improvements to route tracking that helped both the new features and overall performance.
5.1.1 - Oct 18, 2016
First non-beta release of PingPlotter for Mac - mostly feature parity with the Windows release. Changes since the 5.0.2 beta build:
- The Professional edition for macOS now includes a web interface for viewing PingPlotter activity remotely.
- Professional users can also view Jitter graphs conveniently located above timeline graphs.
- Want more packet types? You got it! Support for UDP and Remote Agent packets are at you fingertips. TCP packets did not make it due to some challenges with OSX libpcap generator (sorry, we're still working on this).
- More robust handling of network interface changes (up/down/left/right/etc).
- Changing license modes now restarts application and service together.
- We made PingPlotter better at detecting and handling upgrades when running as a service.
- Since everybody loves spinning circles... We added a "progress spinner" when uploading image to share.pingplotter.com.
- Improved trace interval performance when running as a service.
- Improvements to CPU usage, especially on macOS Sierra. Welcome to the family Sierra!
- Then we just threw in a bunch of other fixes and improvements to core data collection and display. We call it "polish."
5.0.2 Beta - Sept 30, 2016
- Made a small but important change so users upgrading from previous versions won't run into a wall when one of their settings doesn't transfer correctly.
- Fixed a problem that blocked PingPlotter from starting for certain users upgrading from version 1.4 when their configuration information was not in the expected format.
- Fixed an issue that prevented PingPlotter from launching on systems running OS X 10.10.
5.0.0 Beta - Sept 15, 2016
When we released the Mac Preview late last year (2015), we loved it, but knew it had a long way to go to make it comparable to our Windows version. We've made huge strides towards that with the just-released PingPlotter Beta for macOS. It's had a lot of internal testing, and we think it's great. We are eager for your feedback, especially if you run in to bugs or unexpected errors.
PingPlotter Beta for macOS shares an "engine" with PingPlotter for Windows. The alerts system, settings system, summary graphs, statistics calculations, auto-save, share and more have all been injected into the Mac version. The user interface, however, is all Mac. It takes advantage of macOS's native controls, buttery smoothness, and rendering goodness. Running as a service on Mac is also entirely macOS native (and when you invoke the Install Service option from the App menu, it uses native Mac launchctl systems for this). Everyone in our company has a Mac as their main computer. We're certainly enjoying the beta, but we really hope it makes network troubleshooting suck less for you.
If you've been using Version 1.4 "Preview" released early this year, the only bad news is that your collected/stored data won't automatically migrate to the new version. Export your data before you migrate!
We're thankful for you - and that you're using our tool(s) to help with your network troubleshooting.